Sunday, May 07, 2006

Full Of Joy!!

So tonite I played with Monica Joy, at Krista'z Photo Gallery opening It waz flippin' awsome. Monica had alot of versitile stuff- Some strait ahead worship sounding stuff- A cool Triplet feeling one, where Mark and I kept the triplet feel, me on the ride and Mark on the D'jambe' at about, 120bpm and then I did Hi-Hat splashez on the up beat of 4, Natasha said she liked that one,-A cool tune where I played the hell out of the D'jambe' in a kind of African style (Monica told me she loved it)- And pretty heavy tune Called " Deny My Right" which I really enjoyed rocking out too, Even a wonky Jazzish tune that waz kinda silly, but just full of shots, I only kept rhythum with my right hand on every upbeat uzing the ride, there waz lots of space in that tune, so I just played in a silly fashion, swinging my arms around creating a cool rhythmic pattern. One of the things I love the most iz the compliments I got from people on my playing, I mean, I just kinda did it, no real effort waz required, It's all about feel, but it sounded like I played with Monica for yearz people said, but it waz only a few hourz of practice before hand. I tried not to get a big head about it. I alwayz seem to get complements on my playing when ever I play infront of new people, or with new people or anybody. Now I know I'm not some crazy stellar drummer, but I'm really not ashamed to say I'm pretty damn good, and can play with the best of em', It's what I do, case closed...... I just think over the yearz I have figured out what most musicianz want, a solid drummer, that will make THEM sound better, I even know what different genre'z require, and I throw in my own "Pazazz" where I see fit. It's not hard, every genre' haz a certain road and you just have to follow it, and every musician iz a different road sign telling you where to turn, and when to stop and the speed limit. My schooling and yearz of playing haz helpes too, I also don't just listen to one style, I listen to lots of stylez and make sure to LEARN and take away something from every thing I listen to. Groove iz the key I think, it's gotta flow and groove, like pudding, mean I could go out there and play off the beat, or in a different time signature, or do fancy shmancy stuff that would all be in time, But it would not be appropriate for the music, don't do something just cuz you can, it's gotta fit. And most importantly In respect for the person your playing with or for, alwayz treat every gig like a professional gig, weather your getting paid, $1000, or not a penny just a handshake and a free CD, Everone deservez your best effort. Your not the star, they are, you are accompanying THEM.......make THEM better than they are with YOUR playing. That's my moto, I am alwayz greatful when ever I get to play, weather It's every sunday evening at 6:00 or a person who needz a bit of rhythm, they get the whole package, Adrian McFarlane reporting for duty, you only get out of it what you put in. I'll alwayz have drumming with me, it's in my blood.! Thanx for the Gig Krista!!!

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

ditto what Lou said.

also .. i couldn't help but think that your last few sentences read like a great approach to life in general .. find what you're good at; keep on polishing it; keep your mind open and learning; celebrate your talent in a joy-of-life kinda way; and (most important) use your talent to showcase the person we're playing for. age, you nailed it.
SteveC

8:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank YOU, Adrian! You were great and added a lot to the night! Thanks!

1:58 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home